QUETTA -- At least 434 militants surrendered Friday evening (April 21) as part of the ongoing political reconciliation process in Balochistan, Dawn reported.
The militants belonged to the Baloch Republican Army (BRA), Balochistan Liberation Army (BLA) and other groups, and were allegedly responsible for attacks on government installations in Quetta, Dera Bugti, Sui and other parts of the province.
"Innocent people have been used and elements instigating them were living abroad," said Balochistan Chief Minister Nawab Sanaullah Khan Zehri.
"Anyone laying down their arms would be welcomed," said Commander Southern Command Lt. Gen. Aamir Riaz.
"We were deceived," said Sher Mohammad, a key commander of the proscribed BLA, while Dur Khan Baloch, another key commander, said they will "no longer fight" for foreign elements.
Balochistan government spokesman Anwar-ul-Haq Kakar said so far over 1500 militants have surrendered and more are expected to follow suit.